“Are you and your pets safe from contact voltage?”

Posted on February 26th, 2013 by admin

(From the Contact Voltage Information Center Website)

“Contact Voltage is electrical current coming from damaged or faulty underground wiring that in  turn, energizes nearby objects and surfaces, like sidewalks, street lamps, manhole covers fire hydrants and even puddles.
These surfaces can deliver dangerous or deadly shocks!**

If you feel even the SLIGHTEST shock from an energized surface, call 911, contact your utility company AND
alert your public officials.

Visit the Contact Voltage Information Center Website online to learn more and find out if your utility company is taking proactive measure to  address this danger”    http://www.contactvoltageinfo.org/

** A few years ago a carriage horse in NYCity was electrocuted to death in the rain, when her metal horseshoes contacted a manhole-type cover under which was a loose, live wire.  http://www.nytimes.com/1999/01/09/nyregion/carriage-horse-is-electrocuted-on-street.html

Watch Tip Classic: Trapped and Alone

Posted on February 3rd, 2013 by Anna Nirva

wwtips_a2Listen and watch for dogs and cats accidentally trapped in sheds, garages, and even homes, when families leave for winter vacations. Mis-communications or mistakes can be devastating. Sunbear was trapped in a townhouse laundry room when his owner left town; he died.

Trapped and no one hears you!

It can happen in your neighborhood. You are a dog or a cat, and your family loves you. They left for vacation and arranged for your care. But communication about the date was faulty, or a voicemail was lost, or the caregiver was irresponsible. And you have not been fed or watered for days. Read the rest of this entry »