[Reprinted from Trucker's Report.com]
We found this article to be good stuff and we wanted to share it with readers. Thank you Caroline, a middle school student, for sharing this good information with your team! It eventually found it’s way to us via Coonhound Companions!
Traveling by Car or Truck with Pets
Taking the family pet along for the ride is a part of the vacation plans of families across the nation. These trips can be quite memorable and enjoyable—but only if you take the proper safety precautions for your animals. This guide will help you travel safely and comfortably with your favorite pet.
Before You Travel
When you and your family are traveling, planning is essential to make sure you get everything packed and are fully prepared for your journey. Such planning is also a must when it comes to traveling with pets:
Find a Place to Stay With Your Pet
Not every hotel, campground, or other lodging allows pets to stay on the premises, and the last thing you want is to pull into your lodging and find out that your animal is unwelcome. While planning your trip, you should make sure to find pet-friendly accommodations at every stop along the way on your journey. Figure out where you will stop and plan accordingly. Read the rest of this entry »
Readers, the linked article is very important if you and your pets spend time outdoors together. Veterinary parasite experts warn of a tick population explosion due to milder winters, resistance to topical anti-tick and -flea treatments, and other factors. Some believe infection may transmit to the host before 24 hours elapse. Dr. Karen Becker writes an excellent overview and her tips for prevention is a must-read. Reader comments are also interesting. I will repost her tips in digest form below.
Near 100% Risk from a Parasitic Pest Now Linked to a Dozen Diseases (article link)
Link will open in a new window. Click on More… for the tips.
Read the rest of this entry »
It’s almost Easter, and signs of Spring will soon be here! For most of us, the Easter holiday brings back many fond memories of chocolate treats, Easter egg hunts, colorful Easter baskets filled with goodies, and bunnies. But if you are a pet owner, please be careful if you have these Easter staples in your house, or in your neighbor’s yard, which can pose danger to the health of your dog or cat.
(From the Contact Voltage Information Center Website)
“Contact Voltage is electrical current coming from damaged or faulty underground wiring that in turn, energizes nearby objects and surfaces, like sidewalks, street lamps, manhole covers fire hydrants and even puddles.
These surfaces can deliver dangerous or deadly shocks!**
If you feel even the SLIGHTEST shock from an energized surface, call 911, contact your utility company AND
alert your public officials.
Visit the Contact Voltage Information Center Website online to learn more and find out if your utility company is taking proactive measure to address this danger” http://www.contactvoltageinfo.org/
** A few years ago a carriage horse in NYCity was electrocuted to death in the rain, when her metal horseshoes contacted a manhole-type cover under which was a loose, live wire. http://www.nytimes.com/1999/01/09/nyregion/carriage-horse-is-electrocuted-on-street.html
By Emily Plishner, Houndsman
In wintertime, dogs can get in trouble by running out on thin ice. Warm days can weaken ice on frozen ponds. Even in very cold weather, rapidly flowing water will not freeze completely, ice along tidal coasts will break up with tide changes, and uncovered holes in solidly frozen surfaces can prove to be traps for dogs. Once they’ve fallen through thin ice, dogs can have trouble climbing out again. Carry rope and a change of clothes in your vehicle for emergency rescues—you can tie one end of the rope to a tree or other solid anchor and the other to your waist when going to the rescue, affording you a way to climb back out of icy water.
Read a true story about a dramatic rescue of a dog that went through thin ice.
See a video clip of the above story.
My coonhound Clamour, 75 lbs., once ran over thin ice and ran onto a beaver lodge to bark at a raccoon on an evergreen branch overhanging it. I knew the ice was too thin to support me and I wasn’t sure the ice could support Clamour. I wasn’t even sure the beaver lodge would support him, and I knew it was occupied! I knew Clam wouldn’t even try to leave until the coon did, and I don’t carry firearms when I “hunt,” so I had to find another way to make the coon leave. Mind you, all this was in the dark of night, at least a mile from the nearest house. I lobbed snowballs at that coon for what seemed like hours before he retreated toward the tree trunk, Clam underneath him every inch of the way. Luckily, Clam didn’t fall through until the shallows, and was able to climb out on his own. He then proceeded to climb all over me and get me soaking wet. Now, I always keep along rope in my truck, and sometimes an ice grapple in thin ice weather. Just about every houndsman I know has had to wade into a partly frozen swamp at least once to rescue his dog. And none of them hesitate to do what needs to be done.
As always, please share this information with all pet parents in your circle!
Charlee Bear Products announced today that it is voluntarily recalling certain lots of its Protein Crunch Bar products because they have the potential to be contaminated with Salmonella.
Recalls, Market Withdrawals, & Safety Alerts > Charlee Bear Products Recalls “Protein Crunch Bars” Because of Possible Salmonella Health Risk.
With Halloween just a few days away, this classic watch tip bears repeating, as there are always unfortunate incidents linked with this holiday.
Watch for pets out in costumes that constrict, restrict, or impair them in any way. Pets that are stressed out by their costume or the festivities should be removed to a quiet, safe place, and their costumes removed. Set the example by making sure your own pet, if dressed in costume, is outfitted appropriately and is tolerating the ensemble well. Read the rest of this entry »
“Kasel Associated Industries of Denver, CO is voluntarily recalling its BOOTS & BARKLEY ROASTED AMERICAN PIG EARS AND BOOTS & BARKLEY AMERICAN VARIETY PACK DOG TREATS product because it may be contaminated with Salmonella. Salmonella can sicken animals that eat these products and humans are at risk for salmonella poisoning from handling contaminated pet products, especially if they have not thoroughly washed their hands after having contact with the pet products or any surfaces exposed to these products.”
via Recalls, Market Withdrawals, & Safety Alerts > Kasel Associated Industries Recalls Boots & Barkley Roasted American Pig Ears and Boots & Barkley American Variety Pack Dog Treats Because of Possible Salmonella Health Risk.
These treats were distributed to 57 Sam’s Club locations in CO,IA,ID,IL,KS,MO,MT,NE,OK,SD,UT and WY. Click on the link for more detailed information from the FDA:
Recalls, Market Withdrawals, & Safety Alerts > Kasel Associated Industries Recalls Nature’s Deli Chicken Jerky Dog Treats Because of Possible Salmonella Health Ris.
“Nature’s Recipe brand is voluntarily recalling a limited supply of Nature’s Recipe® Oven Baked Biscuits with Real Chicken, manufactured in one of its U.S. production facilities. This is being done as a precautionary measure, as the product has the potential to be contaminated with Salmonella. Salmonella can affect animals eating the products and there is risk to humans from handling contaminated pet products.” To read more about this recall and how it may affect you, please click here:
Nature’s Recipe Recall of Oven-Baked Chicken Biscuits